Diamond Metals is your Preferred CPM Provider!
Powder metal is a popular material for parts due to is magnetic properties and its ability to be formed in a variety of shapes with proper sintering. During sintering, the surfaces of the particles are bonded, and desirable properties are achieved, resulting in the production of a hard solid metal from a starting powder metal.
CPM stands for Crucible Particle Metallurgy; a process that is used for commercial production of high-speed steels and other high alloy tool steels. This process leads to the production of superior quality tool steels and higher alloyed grades than conventional steelmaking. The CPM process offers many benefits over conventionally ingot-cast tool steels.
Technical and Application Information
Diamond Metals Powder Metal product inventory includes the following grades, in both plate and rounds.
*Click the links below to access the technical data for each grade.
- CPM 1V: High alloy, medium carbon, tool steel which exhibits elevated toughness and extreme heat resistance. It is suited for hot or cold applications demanding excessive impact toughness and moderate wear-resistance.
- CPM 3V: Wear-resistant tool steel with high toughness and maximum resistance to breakage and chipping. It offers impact resistance with levels like other shock resistant grades. Used in applications to combat chronic breakage and chipping, but where the wear properties of a high alloy steel are required.
- CPM 4V: Supreme wear-resistant powder metal, with high impact toughness. Used for applications where a combination of strength, wear-resistance and resilience is required. CPM 4V should be considered for applications, over CPM 3V, when a greater attainable hardness and additional abrasion resistance is needed.
- CPM REX M4HC: Extremely versatile high-speed powder metal steel that provides a unique combination of extreme wear-resistance with superior impact toughness and transverse bend strength. Strong wear-resistance in cold work punches, die inserts and cutting applications involving high speed and light cuts. Provides optimum hardening response in large cross-section tools or in vacuum or atmosphere heat treating.
- CPM 9V: Used in tooling that encounters severe wear with high heat resistance and toughness. CPM 9V durability is lower than most of the other hot work tool steels; therefore, not intended for use in applications where the primary failure mode is heat checking or cracking. It may be used at temperatures of up to about 950/1000F, with brief exposures to about 1050/1100F.
- CPM 10V: Toughness and strength for cold and warm work tooling applications due to strong, air hardening base analysis with added high carbon and vanadium for exceptionally good wear-resistance. A solid choice to replace carbide and other materials, particularly where tool toughness is a problem or where cost effectiveness can be demonstrated.
- CPM REX T15 HS: Extremely high-speed steel that’s cobalt-bearing with a high volume of vanadium carbides that provide very high wear resistance. Provides excellent abrasion resistance, and cobalt for good hardness. Ideal cutting difficult machine material where high frictional heating is encountered.
- CPM 15V: Intended for applications requiring exceptional wear-resistance. Maximum vanadium, abrasion resistant powder metal tool steel. Used where CPM 10V is successful, but longer tool life is needed, or sintered carbide tooling is prone to fracture or difficult to fabricate.
Other grades are available upon request. Emergency Service is Our Specialty!
Diamond Metals offers production saw cutting, grinding and milling services, and pre-squaring to customer specifications.